Our Jewish home kitchen features fresh, tasty kosher meals, some from residents’ favorite recipes in Rockleigh, NJ
Apple Spice Cake (serves approx. 10)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon all spice
1 cup butter or margarine softened
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 apples: peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup confectionary sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease a 10 inch tube pan or 13 x 9 inch pan.
- Cover raisins with warm water, let soak for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour, spices, set aside.
- Cream together butter or margarine and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir together baking soda and 1 tablespoon warm water and mix into the sugar mixture. Stir in flour mixture, apples and strained raisins until well blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour, or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan and dust with confectionary sugar.